We ship millions of tons of hazardous materials (HAZMAT) every day. These materials can be poisonous, toxic, flammable, explosive or corrosive by nature. Take this course to learn basic information about how to identify and safely handle hazardous materials.
- Hazardous Materials
HAZMAT TRANSPORTATION ONLINE COURSE OVERVIEW
We ship millions of tons of hazardous materials (HAZMAT) every day. These materials can be poisonous, toxic, flammable, explosive or corrosive by nature.
Take this course to learn basic information about how to identify and safely handle hazardous materials, all while complying with federal laws and regulations. This course is ideal for employees who are involved in shipping, packaging or transporting hazardous materials.
HAZMAT TRANSPORTATION COURSE TOPICS
The Hazardous Materials Table
- Because of the risks and dangers associated with shipping hazardous materials, the U.S. Department of Transportation Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration and its supporting agencies regulate the transport of these materials within the US and ensure we comply with the Hazardous Materials Regulations (or the HMR).
- Shippers are responsible for documenting information about hazardous materials before offering them for transport. This module covers the components of a properly prepared shipping paper.
- If given the task of packaging or inspecting and accepting hazardous materials for transportation, could you do so in compliance with the HMR?s (Hazardous Materials Regulations) packaging requirements? Your employer wants to make sure you can, since the U.S. Department of Transportation (or DOT) and its designated agencies regulate the packaging and transportation of hazardous materials. These agencies also have the authority to inspect hazardous materials, or HAZMAT, packages and fine or penalize you as well as your employer for any HMR violations. Therefore, this module focuses on the various actions shippers and carriers must take to ensure that hazardous materials meet the general packaging requirements.
- This series of Hazardous Materials Transportation e-Lessons provides general awareness training for the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) Hazardous Materials Regulations. Module 4 covers the marking and labeling of hazardous materials.
Labeling & Placarding
- Module 5 covers Placarding.
Carrier Requirements - Highway
- Module 6a covers Highway Carrier Requirements.
Carrier Requirements - Air (IATA).
- When it comes to transporting hazardous materials by air, Part 175 of the Hazardous Materials Regulations or HMR provides air carriers with the specific requirements they need to accept, handle and transport hazardous materials.
Carrier Requirements - Rail
- The DOT (Department of Transportation) identifies requirements for transporting hazardous materials by rail in Part 174 of the HMR (Hazardous Materials Regulations).
Carrier Requirements - Water (IMDG)
- In this module, we will focus on the actions we can take to protect our waters and marine life when transporting hazardous materials by any type of vessel or ship.
- Hazardous materials are vulnerable when they are in transit. Imagine what would happen if criminals or terrorists were able to obtain dangerous chemicals and materials! Take this course to find out what you can do to prevent that from happening. Ideal learners include people who work at companies involved in the packaging, shipment, transportation and distribution of hazardous materials.
HAZMAT TRANSPORTATION ONLINE COURSE DURATION:
Approximately 5 hours
HAZMAT TRANSPORTATION ONLINE TEST:
Testing conducted throughout this online course is designed to reinforce the information presented. A mark of 80% must be achieved in order to receive a certificate of completion. Participants are able to repeat the course twice if the pass mark is not achieved. Printable resources are available in the form of a comprehensive student manual. The manual is a valuable resource for future use and knowledge retention.
HAZMAT TRANSPORTATION ONLINE CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION:
Upon successful completion of this course, an online certificate of completion will be available for download and printing.
This course was created using standards that will allow playback on most internet capable devices with standard web browsing capabilities including Apple?s iTouch, iPad, and iPhone, as well as most other smart phones and tablets including those with Android and Windows operating systems.
HAZMAT TRANSPORTATION COURSE PREVIEW