Lockout Tagout In The Workplace
- Machinery and Equipment
LOCKOUT TAGOUT IN THE WORKPLACE ONLINE COURSE OVERVIEW
Energy powers lifts, turns grinders, floods piping, and drives hydraulics, but the release of hazardous energy, even if it?s a part of everyday procedure or maintenance, can be a big hazard for workers. In fact, it is required by law that employees who regularly use, maintain, or inspect power equipment must be trained in how to control the release of any hazardous energy and protect themselves and those around them. The best way to do this is with lockout tagout procedures.
This course is designed to give workers and supervisors an understanding of the general requirements for lockout tagout regulations, as defined by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
Upon completion, students should be able to recognize and prevent different power hazards that can be found on any work site, such as electric, pneumatic, kinetic, and thermal energy. The course also covers the laws and potential fines that come with ignoring proper lockout tagout procedures and energy isolating devices commonly used on job sites, including:
- Drums, tanks, and pipelines
- Tumbling mills and dryers
- Electrical power supply
- Storage silo bins and hoppers
- Confined spaces
- This course was developed in accordance with recommendations set forth in CSA standards Z462 ? Workplace Electrical Safety and Z460-13 Control of Hazardous Energy ? Lockout and Other Methods.
- Failure to comply with lockout tagout regulations can result in criminal consequences for employers and workers. Check your provincial regulations for more information.
LOCKOUT TAGOUT IN THE WORKPLACE COURSE PREVIEW
Throughout this course, workers will learn the 7 Step Lockout System:
- Prepare for hazards with proper research
- Communicate essential lockout information to other staff
- Shut down all sources of power
- Isolate energy sources using energy isolating devices
- Apply locks and tags to equipment
- Control the zero energy state
- Verify all safety procedures